Poor Amy Chua. If she were only old, male, unattractive, washed-up, alcoholic, and too pathetic and self-hating to write a memoir, nobody would be giving her any fuss about her parenting methods.
On the other hand, lucky Jackie Chan.
Things I learned today about parenting, from The Karate Kid (2010):
1. “wax on wax off” parenting is most effective because it’s not only torture, it’s also highly amusing
2. black kid’s message to Chinese parents: chill out! your daughters are safe with me!
3. American mothers fail at teaching their children to clean up their rooms because they have not mastered the Chinese parenting method (hours of unexplained physical torture) (see lesson #1)
4. Chinese dads will cry over their dead sons, but only when drunk
5. Will and Jada Pinkett Smith were on set all the time, no doubt whipping Jaden into speaking perfect Mandarin. (“We’re not auto-tuning those tones you lazy piece of garbage”)